If you provide us with information about your health, we also strive to ensure that our handling of that information complies with applicable State and Territory health records legislation.
1. What personal information does Project Beats collect and why?
Project Beats collects personal information from its members and from contractors, employees, and people we do business with.
Project Beats needs personal information:
- to conduct our business (eg to administer accounts, charge fees and to communicate with our members and business contacts).
To illustrate, the personal information we collect about our members includes:
- Identification Information, including each member's name, address, contact details (including telephone numbers and email address) and date of birth;
- Health information, is a sensitive form of personal information, so we only collect it with your consent, and we only collect what we need;
- Financial Information, including bank account details and credit card details, as well as information about payment or non-payment of fees.
This information is collected from application forms, and when people attend our venue and communicate with us through our website and email.
We also collect:
- Business Contact Information from and about our suppliers and other people we do business with (eg our landlords). This information is needed so that we can manage our business;
- "Next of Kin" Information, is collected in the case of an emergency. We suggest that our members tell their next of kin that they have been nominated for this purpose; and
- Employee Information. is also collected for human resources purposes.
2. How does Project Beats use personal information?
As indicated, we use personal information to provide dance class services, to manage and administer students and to operate our business.
For example, if you are a member, we'll use your personal information to process any applications, charge you fees for classes and studio hire and administer your account. We will also use your personal information to communicate with you, including answering any enquires you may have.
Unless you tell us otherwise, we may also use members' personal information to mail out special promotions, newsletters and other marketing material.
For instance, Project Beats may email its members information about its own promotions, or those offered by our business partners. If you don't want us to do this, we give you an opportunity to "opt out" from receiving such material by unsubscribing to our online newsletter.
3. Does Project Beats share my personal information with anyone else?
Project Beats will disclose your personal information in a few different ways.
We will disclose personal information if we are under a legal requirement to do so (eg under a court order, or if required under legislation), or if an authorised request is made from a law enforcement agency.
Otherwise, we will only disclose personal information with the consent of the relevant individuals. For example, if you are a member, with your consent (and only with your consent):
- we may provide personal information to Project Beats' dance teachers to contact you to arrange a dance class or private lesson. If the dance teachers are contractors (rather than Project Beats employees), their contracts with us require them to keep your personal information confidential. Of course, all our employees are required to keep your personal information confidential also.
4. How can I access my Personal Information?
Privacy laws give you rights to seek access to the personal information we hold about you.
You can seek access by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Generally, we should be able to provide you with access within a month of your request, although we may need more time if your request is complicated. Ordinarily, Project Beats will not charge you for the cost of providing access to your personal information. However, if we do propose to charge you, we will advise you of the relevant charge before we provide you with access.
We try to ensure that all the personal information that we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, we rely on you to help us with this. If you wish to update or correct the personal information we hold about you, please e-mail email@example.com. We will contact you if there is any issue about amending the record of personal information we hold about you.
5. Is my Personal Information kept secure?
Project Beats takes reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is stored in a secure environment protected from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We remind our staff and contractors of the importance of storing personal information in a secure way, and to treat it like confidential information.
We are be able to answer telephone questions and provide dance class services without collecting personal information about you, but your personal information is useful if you fall ill.
7. Website/online privacy
Generally, Project Beats will handle personal information collected online consistently with the way that it handles personal information collected offline. Other matters specific to Project Beats' handling of personal information online are set out below.
When you visit our website, we will not collect any personal information unless you chose to provide it to us (eg by sending us emails through our website). However, we may collect certain data that does not identify you (sometimes called "web log information") when you visit certain pages, such as the type of browser and operating system you have. We may also use "cookies" which are small files that are stored on your computer and that manage the security and navigation process of the site. You can choose to block these cookies but some portions of the site may not function correctly if you do. This type of data is collected for statistical purposes only, and while cookies will identify your computer, they are unlikely to identify you personally.
b) Email/SMS marketing
We will not email or SMS you marketing material unless you have consented to this. This is a requirement of the Spam Act 2003. Further, you can unsubscribe from our e-newsletter or other bulletins by using the "unsubscribe" facility contained in each electronic publication we send.
c) Site security policy
Our website uses up-to-date technology to maximise the security of your personal information.
8. Contact details and other information
- by letter: Management, Project Beats Dance Studio, 169 City Walk, Canberra 2601
- by telephone: (02) 6101 0975; or
- by email to firstname.lastname@example.org